How old is Ruthie now?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Baby #2!

lbdf.lilypie.com/TikiBlogger.php/em3H

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 18 at MAC

Almost halfway done here.....I can feel it. And I am SUPER excited to (finally) go home and (finally) see the new renovation on our house....assuming it's finished by the time we are. ;)

Today went pretty well. I did the breakfast and my training is done for this phase.....however, they decided to trial textures today, so as of right now I am the only one able to feed her at RMDH. Her second and third sessions were milk-drinking and she has FINALLY (FINALLY) mastered 1/8th oz! I'm not sure if they'll move up or just sit with that for awhile, but in one session (45 min) she was able to drink a total of 3.5 oz (in 1/8oz increments) and that is awesome for her!

Textures.....they trialed three different types - ground (almost pureed), wet ground (chunky? gritty?), and chopped. They gave her green beans, french fries, and chicken. She did pretty well with all of it. Nothing was spit out and she chewed with her mouth closed (that's a first.) She did great with the green beans, took awhile to chew and swallow the french fries, and took forever and several swallows to manage the chicken. They give her three tries and two prompts to finish swallowing her bite and then they take it out of her mouth. I think they only had to do that once or twice and I was afraid it would gag her, but she managed to hold on. Tomorrow they will finish her assessment and decide which of those three textures to go with next. Ideally, she will come home eating at least chopped food, if not chunkier. 

My dream is to send her to MMO able to eat the same type of lunch that everyone else does.....every day moves us closer to that goal. Her teachers will probably still have to help her during the entire meal and I hate that, b/c I know how hard it is to try to feed 10 kids at once when you aren't having to be in one's face the entire time. I love it there though - the only place I would ever be comfortable leaving her right now.  We're going to miss "meet the teacher" and also the first two weeks of "school" b/c her discharge date isn't until mid-September. I really wanted the chance to sit down with her teachers and go over some things, AND if they end up having to help her eat, there is a whole protocol that has to be done.....sorry, teachers...please don't hate this helicopter mommy, but it HAS to be done to keep her on the regimen. :( They have said many times that any little change in protocol can make her backslide tremendously - it is so important to keep everything consistent. I have toyed with whether or not I should even ask someone else to try to feed her, but she LOVES school so much and really enjoys playing with other children and had such a good time this summer. We'll get it all figured out eventually. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment