Well, maybe we have an answer to this constant vomiting.
Maybe.
I've learned not to hold my breath, and the mantra of "never trust a preemie" rings true in this household every single day. There are no two days alike, and for a control freak like me, that's really difficult. I NEED structure, a routine, to know what's supposed to happen next. This constant changing of the day's events really depresses me sometimes. I really do enjoy her babyhood but I also look forward to her getting a few months older and forming a real schedule. I know there will be days and events that throw it off, but for the most part, our days will be fairly predictable.
Anyway, I finally called the dr's office on Thursday to ask (again) about Ruthie's constant throwing up after every feed. They acted as if I'd never brought it up before (but to the credit of the phone nurse, she probably had no idea about it). Since she is still so small, they wanted to see her, more or less for a weight check, and to (finally) talk about the details of her vomiting. We went in Friday morning and I brought a notebook I've been keeping with the dates and times of her episodes. She weighed in at 8lbs 12oz (though she had been 8lbs 9.5oz at home the day before) - which is only half of what she usually gains in that time period. The ped said it was acceptable though not as great as it could be/has been. He suggested taking her off Enfamil Enfacare (a preemie formula with extra calories) and putting her on Enfamil Nutramigen - a dairy-free formula. I honestly didn't go in thinking her only issue is a milk allergy, and I'm still not sure that's all that's going on. He also gave us a referral to pediatric GI. I had planned to ask for a referral but I didn't have to. Hopefully we will not have to wait too long to find out what else, if anything, is going on.
The first few bottles of Nutramigen went down really well and I was feeling really hopeful that perhaps that was the last of the awful vomiting. While it HAS been MUCH better, she does still spit up at times and has thrown up twice, but still nothing like it used to be. We are on day 3 of it now and she seems to be resting a lot better, though she started getting pretty gassy yesterday. We had tried a couple doses of Gripe Water since it came so highly recommended, but we might as well have given her plain water - it didn't do anything. We tried Mylicon drops yesterday around noon, and it made a whole new baby out of her. I've been giving it to her before every bottle and she seems so much happier and like her tummy doesn't cramp like it must have been before.
She has never been a regular pooper, and in the last 10 days has only pooped twice, both of those after suppository help. Today she finally went on her own and for the FIRST time since we've brought her home, it was normal looking. I know it's sappy to make such a big deal of a poopy diaper, but that made me feel so much better! I'm really hoping this formula will do the trick for her. She's been through enough in her little life without having to have tummy pain every day and be so miserable. Hopefully now she can gain good weight and feel better....and be more willing to get into a routine! :)
We are really looking forward to a visit from Jay's parents for Christmas. They're coming in Saturday morning and we'll be (hopefully) having lunch with my parents and taking a bunch of pictures before going back to our house to relax. Jay and I are going to do "our" Christmas on Friday but will be saving Ruthie's gifts from Santa for Christmas morning. I cannot WAIT for Jay to open his gifts - one from me and one from Ruthie - I'll post pics as soon as he does. Hers is so special. :)
Sunday, December 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


So glad that the new formula is working better along with the Mylicon drops. Praying you are able to get her on a better schedule soon...for your sake!
ReplyDelete