I'm not sure why/how this all got started. We (okay, I) keep careful records of Ruthie's daily "stuff." Feedings, diapers, naps, etc. While it is part of my (very) OCD behavior, it helps to be able to just look back and see exactly how many wet diapers she did have today, how many days has it been since she pooped, how much has she eaten. For a micro-preemie baby like Ruthie, there are so many issues she could have. So far, we have been very blessed and she seems to have not had anything major.
Until now. While some may not consider it major, it is for her. And us. Ruthie, as you all know, is not a big baby. She is almost 7 months old and has yet to hit double-digits in weight (but she's close!). She has never been a big eater or even a good eater. I'm sure part of it stems from the fact that she's changed formulas five times in her life. It took until just recently to figure out (we KNEW but the her ex-pediatrician [like that?] kept blowing us off) that she has a severe dairy allergy. We started her on milk-free formula (Elecare) on January 25th, and she has made amazing strides with it. It took about three days to kick in completely before she no longer vomited every single feeding. In fact, she's only thrown up once since that period, and I believe that was because she got too full too fast. Ruthie has never been able to eat more than 3oz in a feeding, and that's usually pushing it. She started crying and tantruming with bottles about two weeks ago, before the new formula started. At first, it seemed to be just because she wasn't really hungry, but then again with Ruthie, I never know when she's hungry. She's never really cried from hunger. I know that if she wakes up in the middle of the night grunting or squeaking, then she's hungry (otherwise she sleeps 12 hrs). During the day....it's my best judgment. So we've been feeding her every 3 hours. Sometimes she'll eat 3oz, sometimes it's a push to get 1oz in her.
We took her back to the (new) pediatrician and he was shocked the old ped had not upped Ruthie's dosage of Zantac...well, ever. (Come to think of it, he had originally rx'ed her 1/2ml 2x/day and when I reported that wasn't working, downplayed it. Took her to a different dr [same office] and he upped it to 1ml....new baby.) So we started 1.5ml 2x/day and it has made a big different for her in the pain/discomfort she was showing during feeds.
In the last week or so, her eating has gone downhill drastically. Yesterday she ate not even 10oz and it looks like today will be following suit. After many attempts and changes, we determined she truly hates the taste of the Elecare. Daddy's suggestion was to put Karo syrup in it. We did that last night at 7:30 and she took the first full bottle of the day. Same thing at 5am and 8am. Then at 11, she piddled around with it and took a little over 2oz in half an hour's time. At 1:30, all hell broke loose again. She flat-out refused to touch the bottle - screaming and shoving it away. I still don't know what her issue was....she hasn't napped well in three days b/c we've been so on-the-go (walks, visit to Meemer's, etc). I swaddled her and laid her down - she was OUT for 2.5 hours. Attempted a 5:30 feed and she again started crying. Eventually she took it and I don't know what propels her to suddenly stop and decide it's worth it. I know she IS hungry and she DOES want it, but something in her make-up is telling her not to.
My consensus with all this? I think she has a sensory issue. I've thought that for awhile with her lack-of-hunger signs, but now I'm seeing a whole new sensory issue with the oral aversion. In the last few days I've noticed she chokes a lot easier than she used to. She gets rice cereal (and now Karo) in each bottle and while it's thin, it's no thinner than the breastmilk or Nutramigen used to be.
Her GI has given a referral for a occupational therapist to do an evaluation on her....hopefully soon. She also begins physical therapy this week, for her plagiocephaly. So much going on and no time to feel overwhelmed. Please keep praying for her - that she can work through these feeding issues with minimal volume loss. She can't afford to miss a feeding and she needs to be eating twice what she's eating now. I can't even think about upping her volume until we get her eating consistently again. I'm so afraid of her becoming dehydrated since it can happen so quickly.
Until next time.....



No comments:
Post a Comment