Well, the biggest story in our lives so far has been the amount of carpet we're having to pull up in our house. We knew we wanted to re-carpet at least the nursery before we have a baby, and our tax return is allowing us to go ahead and re-do the entire house - all 3 bedrooms and the living room. Our bedroom really isn't too bad at all, but we want a neutral look throughout the entire house, for the day we eventually move. The yahoo that originally carpeted this house picked a striped carpet for the living room (ick), a blue carpet for the master bedroom, green carpet for the 2nd bedroom, and the piece de resistance (or however you say that) --- PINK carpet in the 3rd bedroom. Not sure what they were drinking the night before that big decision.
So last Thursday Jay started on the room we're using for the nursery. He got all the ugly pink carpet and padding pulled up and I can tell you it already looks better, lol. I worked most of Friday afternoon/evening on the guest room, getting furniture taken apart and books/blankets/everything else we keep in that closet packed up. I sold my old stereo that evening (a little saddening....) to some college kid who loves subwoofers, to make more room on the large bookshelf we keep in there. I've been going through closets and cabinets, purging everything we really dont use or even need, to make more room for the things that are going to have to be stored there once the carpeting is finished. This house really is just too small to stay the way it is, especially if we're going to add a baby to it sometime soon.
I got the majority of the guest room furniture moved out into the hallway Friday evening, minus the bed frame and mattresses - those will be the last to go since they will take up more space in the kitchen. Somehow we have to make EVERY single piece of furniture in our house fit into the kitchen when the installers come to put in the new carpet. Should be very interesting. I spent most of last evening ripping up carpet in the living room. I stand amazed at how nasty it really is underneath and how in the world it hasn't just fallen apart. There are pieces near the wall that still have full padding underneath - a plush 1.5-2 inches of nice padding.........fast forward to the rest of the floor that has been steadily walked on for 30+ years............padding is literally paper-thin. There are handfuls of sand underneath every piece I pull up and I wonder why I've even bothered vacuuming twice a week when it obviously was just putting a bandaid on the leprosy, so to speak.
But......90% of the living room is done, minus the pieces under the furniture that will be done the day before the carpet is put in, since we'll have to move the furniture into the kitchen once and for all. The guest room still has to be done, as well as the master, but the latter will be saved for very last, b/c once it's done, we have nowhere to sleep.
I can't wait for this to be done - it will do wonders for the house and it will be so nice to have a neutral look to all of it. The installers are coming to measure this Saturday and I'm hoping they'll have an appt to install it that next week. I'll be posting lots of pictures to my Facebook page of the various stages. I know you'll all be on the edge of your seats waiting for those. :)
Nothing new on the pregnancy stage yet, but I'll update in a week or so with February news. Make it a great week! It's a beautiful day outside and I'm going to take the dogs for a walk.
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Oh dear, I guess you would call my parents "yahoos." The last home I lived in before going to college and getting married had a variety of carpet. There was indoor/outdoor carpet in the kitchen and dining room with some strange sort of red/orange/black pattern on it. Easy-clean stuff. Then there was 3-tone green shag in the living room and down the hall into the master bedroom. My brother and I got to pick our carpet for our rooms. So he chose 2-tone blue shag, and I chose red shag. (Shag was "in" back then.) Chances are the previous owners let everyone choose what they wanted. I didn't know that such a thing wasn't proper until I took interior design in college and the teacher expected us to choose one carpet for an entire house! LOL
ReplyDelete