Wow, so much has changed since I last blogged! (I guess that's what happens when you go months in between blogging.) ;)
Ruthie started preschool in September. She goes 2 mornings a week and LOVES it! It has done wonders for her speech and socialization. She's always been social, but she's never really had other children to play with regularly. The downside to school has been the constant illnesses. Ruthie has had 6 ear infections since October (though I thoroughly blame it on the DTAP vaccine and not just school germs, but that's another story) and is now looking at tubes very soon. We have been passing around virus after virus between the three of us and we are ALL looking forward to spring weather. I expected her to catch a few colds since this is her first season out of true quarantine and she isn't getting Synagis, but this has been ridiculous. Come on, spring!
Ruthie started with a new speech therapist a couple of months ago. Up until then, we had been without a speech therapist. After the drama of the way the last situation ended, I was being very choosy in who I thought would be a good match for Ruthie, and we have hit the JACKPOT!! We all absolutely LOVE her and she is an even better match than I could have hoped for. It has made me so grateful for all she is able to do with Ruthie, and has allowed me to put the previous situation behind me once and for all. As absolutely furious as I was about the way that was handled, it has allowed me to see that something good can still come from something so hurtful. Ruthie is talking more than ever, and while most of it is still unintelligible to strangers, she is really trying to repeat everything she hears until she gets is right, and she is so proud of herself! I love seeing her succeed and the smile on her face when she streams out a 4-word sentence and everyone in the room understood it. She has worked so hard to gain those words.
Ruthie's biggest news is......she is FINALLY, FINALLY.....eating! Up until a few days ago, she was still on pureed foods, with no end in sight. I picked her up at school Wednesday and her teachers told me about the meltdown she had b/c other kids had a cheese stick and she wanted one. So Thursday, I packed her lunch full of table-foods: cheese chunks, chopped-up broccoli, sweet potatoes, and sliced strawberries.
She ate it ALL.
And hasn't stopped since. All of her meals since have been table foods, and she has cleaned her plate nearly every time. It's like a light just turned on, and she eats like she's been doing it for years. We're still working on drinking, and while she's very willing, she only takes sips at a time. If she continues to eat this way and can manage 16-20oz/day of liquids (still a long way from that), we can ditch the tube. As of right now, she probably manages 1-2oz/day, but we'll get there.
Our girl is a busy, busy little body - she never stops moving. She loves running, laughing, Mickey & Minnie, playing outside, and chips. The girl will do anything for a potato chip. :)
Nothing much, just eating a regular ol' meal like any other kid. :)
Hanging out with my friend Riley at her birthday party!
Some pics from our Valentine photoshoot, courtesy of E McB Photography
Most mornings start out with Mickey Mouse and snuggles in Mommy and Daddy's bed.
Our first night without the pacifier - successful! Still going strong two months later...
This girl loves her some dress-up!










No comments:
Post a Comment